What’s Up, Wednesday?

DON’T FORGET TO UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS!! MY NEW BLOG ADDRESS AS OF 7/24/13 WILL BE KRISATKINSWRITES.WORDPRESS.COM. (you can access it there now; your browser will redirect you back to krisatkinswrites.com until the 24th)

whatsupyoWHAT I’M READING

I’m still on Year of Wonders. My revisions last week were way more time and labor intensive than normal. I had to move two scenes, write two new scenes to fill their place, and then make everything agree and all that jazz. Moving scenes is hard! So, now I can dedicate more time to reading. Yay!

WHAT I’M WRITING

Well, those heavy-duty revisions last week set me back and I won’t finish my revisions until the 28th, and thus won’t start writing the third act until the 29th. But I’m not discouraged because, while doing all of that was hard and took a lot of time, it improved the story and hopefully my first round of revisions on the whole first draft won’t be as intense since I’ve spent so much time editing the first two-thirds. Hopefully.

ALSO! I realized I’ve been entirely too nice to my characters, and decided in the midst of all these edits, to do something quite devilish. Mwahaha. I can’t wait to see how it all shakes out. >D

WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

Pinspiration boards for WIPs and SNIs! Last week I spent some of my writing time creating and filling them. And when I mean some, I mean like an hour. But it’s SO fun! And it’s totally inspiration and brainstorming, so it counts. (To a certain point, after that, it’s all diminishing returns.) (I’m so married to an accountant.) I have a public one for RED SKY, FRACTURED RADIANCE, and my SNI/planned NaNo novel. Yay! I also created a super top secret board for FR because I found some awesome pins that are total spoilers. So … can’t share that one, sorry! Aaaaand, a top secret board of ideas for my one-day YA epic fantasy.  Five boards? That couldn’t have taken too long, riiiiight?

Do you make inspiration boards for your WIPs? I think they might be even more addictive than playlists.

WHAT ELSE I’M UP TO

FIRST OFF, this:

faith

My friend, Scott, is a super awesome human being and photographer and has a Kickstarter project that expires in 47 hours. His plan is to travel across the US and Canada taking pictures of places of worship of all religions and then publish books using these images. Seriously, y’all, he’s crazy talented.

Second, Flula Borg. You’ve seen him right? No? Oh goodness, please watch this:

This man is hilarious. And slightly crazy. I spent hours watching his videos while folding laundry the other day.

Also, I’m on a full-house straightening/organizing binge. Whenever the house has looked clean, there’s actually been one room (usually the guest room, but sometimes ours) with all of the junk in it. Not this week! Or rather, that’s my goal! And I’m moving chemicals to high cabinets because apparently babies can die if they drink bleach. So I should probably avoid that because I like Turbo.

And speaking of Turbo, he has slept all the way through the night the last two nights!!! Yes, this deserves boldenation!!! (That should be a word.)

16 thoughts on “What’s Up, Wednesday?

1. Kate Scott says:

I looked at your pintrist pages and I’m totally seeing some cover art. That image of the girl flipping her hair in FR! That needs to be your cover art! I’ve only read the first chapter, but still, that needs to be your cover art.

Yes, I have done many, many happy dances the past two days. Here’s hoping it’s the new normal!!
      Yes, very devilish. Muahahaha. My writing group is going to HATE me when they get to that scene. >:D

2. Alison Miller says:

Moving chapters is hard work so good for you for doing two! I had to reorganize a few things with my last story and making the transitions work is the most challenging aspect – for me anyway. :)

Good luck with your revisions! I’m not on Pintrest because I know I’d become way too addicted. Maybe in the future. :)

Have a great week!

3. Elodie says:

I love when revising that I can feel my story getting better even though it’s a lot lot lot of work! :D And yay for making it harder on your characters :-)

4. Colin says:

I’m amazed at how slow editing can be. When you sit for two hours, reading, re-reading, chopping, rephrasing, re-reading… and you feel like you’ve gone through pages and pages… but you’re only actually 2 pages on from where you started! And then I’m amazed that I’m amazed. I know this process takes time. And it’s both fun (after all, this is where the real writing happens–at least for me; the first draft is just throwing words on the page and hoping for the best!), and laborious.

All the best with your revisions this week, Kris. May the things that need to change be obvious, and the correct words fall into place. :)

5. katyupperman says:

Congrats on all your revision progress! Moving scenes is a total pain, but sometimes it makes the greatest difference. And I’m with you — my number one writing flaw is being too kind to my characters. I kind of love them, so I don’t want to torture them. Makes for a boring story, though. :-) Best of luck with all your house cleaning, and happy reading!

It’s so hard to be mean to them, but yes, it’s best! Like you said, if we’re not mean, the story’s boring. And sometimes, there really isn’t a story.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

6. katharineowens says:

Sleeping through the NIGHT!!! That is HUGE!!! Congratulations to the whole family! :0) Time consuming revisions are a great thing in the long run– so glad to hear you knocked them out!

7. angelicarjackson says:

Errgh, it ate my comment! I’d seen that video but didn’t realize Flula Borg was a whole meme thing. And congratulations on Turbo sleeping through the night, and you by association.