WUW: Time for a little break

What’s Up Wednesday is an easy and fun weekly blog hop that’s hosted by Jaime Morrow and Erin L. Funk. All you do is answer the four main questions, then visit the other participants’ blogs to see what they’re up to this week. Join us! Jooooiiiin uussss!

wuw treeWHAT I’M READING

I finished up Throne of Glass last night and I ended up really, really enjoying it. Okay, to be fair, around the halfway mark I said to my husband, “I don’t know if I hate this book or love it.” There were definitely things that drove me kinda crazy, but I couldn’t put it down. And I’m glad I stuck with it. I have to say, this is the first ever love triangle that has me completely torn between the two guys, even though I saw it coming from page 10. Chaol and Dorian are both terrific characters while still distinct individuals. Also, Celaena’s character arc was nicely done. So, yes, I will continue through the series. Not right now though, because I have a manuscript to critique, and another one coming soon, and I have to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for book club (soooo excited for this one) AND I got a shipment notice for my signed copy of Dreams of Gods and Monsters yesterday! Ahhh! SOOOOO excited! Laini Taylor is my spirit animal, y’all. Her and The Naked and Famous. :)

WHAT I’M WRITING

I submitted the first 5k of the Book of Eire to my writing group last week. I was quite nervous, since I was going to find out if I’m the only one who loves this story, but they did too! Yay! The muse hasn’t been my friend this week, but I’ve kept up with my 100 words a day challenge and even managed 500 words yesterday. Also, I have a title! Doo doo doo doo! THROUGH CLOUDED EYESI love it and it feels so perfect because this story is all about fate, death, and mental illness. Sounds happy, right? Hah! It’s also about love though, so there you go. :)

Also, I’m set on a new title for FR also: ILLUMINATE THE NIGHT. Feels good to have that settled.

WHAT INSPIRES ME

As I said, the muse has been noticeably absent this week, but I’m finding inspiration in pushing through despite that. I used to balk at the idea of writing every day–it wasn’t for me, I wasn’t the type of person who could keep that up, etc. etc. etc.–but it really makes all the difference. I wasn’t able to write on Sunday and I noticed a difference on Monday. Even taking one day off sets me back a bit! So, even when the writing isn’t glamorous, and each word is another tooth pulled, I continue on. And it’s worth it every. single. time.

WHAT ELSE I’M UP TO

I’ve taken on babysitting for a friend’s daughter for the next 2 weeks. She’s just a few months younger than Lincoln, but she’s not a consistent afternoon napper which means my writing time is taking a huge blow. (Yesterday their naps only overlapped by 10 minutes :/) I’m still dedicated to writing every day, but it means writing at night some days, and it means some other things are going to slide for the next couple of weeks. And one of those things is blogging. So I’m going to peace out for a bit, but I’ll be back!

I hope y’all have a fabulous week, next, and the week after! (But I should be back to blogging then.) How’s this week going so far?

9 thoughts on “WUW: Time for a little break

1. Kate Scott says:

Good luck with your new project. I’m glad other people enjoy it, but how could they not, your writing is always fabulous. I hope you are able to find a new writing schedule that works for you while babysitting. Have a great next few weeks!

2. Miss Cole says:

Oooh, that is a cool title!

I think I’m the only person on the planet who didn’t like Throne of Glass ^^; Too many dresses, not enough assassinating :P …Not sure what that says about me..

Oh how I miss my little charge’s nap time. It was the best part of being a nanny, but alas, those days are loooooooong gone.

Have a brilliant week, Kris!

3. Jaime Morrow says:

I’m a major Sarah J. Maas fan, and am *definitely* Team Chaol. CROWN OF MIDNIGHT is fantastic, and there’s a lot more action in it than the first one, which I know will appeal to a lot of people. My copy of DREAMS OF GODS & MONSTERS just showed up today, so I think I’ll be reading it next.

I know what you mean about taking breaks from writing and how hard it is to get back to it, even when the breaks are small. I’ve run into that countless times. Most recently, it was after taking months off of writing. I’m *still* trying to get back into some kind of routine because of it. Hope the muse returns soon and sticks around for a good long time!

4. Kirsten Lopresti says:

I like both titles, especially Illuminate the Night. That stinks about the nap, but maybe they’ll keep each other busy part of the day and you can rest. Enjoy your break. I hope you get some good writing done.

5. crystalschubert says:

Aww, boo for the inconsistent napping! I’m determined to get Jack napping on a schedule. It’s been hard but I think it’s starting to work. Fingers crossed!

I hope you get some good stuff written during your hiatus!! :)

6. Kitty says:

I love the title for your new WIP! And I really loved A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN. I should re-read that one some time. Good luck with the babysitting. You will be busyyyyy… woo!

7. Erin Funk says:

I’m firmly and devotedly on Team Chaol, but I gotta say Celaena’s choices are pretty dang good any way you look at it. One of my favorite series!

Love the title of your book! It sounds very fitting to the themes. Hope you get more time to write soon and that it’ll be a little less like pulling teeth. I’m like you–my momentum takes a hit if I even take one day off. Keep plugging away with that 100 word a day challenge! :)

I lean more toward Team Chaol, but then I think of how surprising, unstereotypical, and sweet Dorian is and I second guess myself. :) Guess I’ll have to read the second book to decide. Oh darn!